Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Packing For Your Trip: Getting the Backpack

Before I get started on picking out a backpack, I'll give you a little background on me and my trip. I'm 23 and I recently graduated with my Masters in Accounting. I just got back from a three week backpacking trip throughout Europe in May. I went with a group of close girl friends, luckily, a few of whom have traveled and even lived in Europe before. So I benefited a lot from their advice, and from tips from friends who were studying abroad in some of the locations we visited, and from travel websites I frequented. We flew into London, then went to Utrecht and Amsterdam in The Netherlands, then it was onto Koln and Munich in Germany, next was Venice, Rome, and Cinque Terre in Italy, and finally Paris, France! It was the trip of a lifetime. I had an amazing time, maybe after I finish writing a couple of posts on packing and preparing for backpacking in Europe I'll write one on the different locations we visited!



Packing a month's worth of outfits, shoes, cosmetics, and travel essentials would be challenging enough to fit in several pieces of luggage let alone into one backpack! But that is exactly what I did, and hopefully what this blog will help you accomplish!

Getting a Backpack: Many seasoned backpackers will tell you this is the most important investment you will make for your trip. After hours of reading on which backpack is the best, I came to the conclusion that it boils down to personal preference. I would recommend reading reviews online, but definitely go into stores in person and try some on to get an idea of what you want. When I visited stores I found out the styles I had been looking at online were wayyy bigger than what I had been envisioning, I would have been really mad if I ordered one online only to find it out the bag was bigger than I was!

So my choice ended up being..... a rolling backpack! My sister and I both got identical Samsonite Rolling backpacks and we both LOVED them. We got them from a Samsonite outlet for just $80 (just in case you want to check em out it's item # 17896XXXX). Just a warning, this is a smaller bag, it's carry-on size at just 21"x14"x8"! The other girls we traveled with were shocked at how small our luggage was. I'll admit, my sister and I are the most high-maintenance out of the group, but somehow we packed the lightest!

What I liked about having a rolling backpack: In the entire three week trip I only had to put this bag on my back once, in Cinque Terre, Italy when we had to climb a couple of very steep staircases to get to our B&B. Everywhere else I rolled it. Our itinerary was pretty ideal for a rolling backpack, but if you're going to more remote locations or less modern places maybe reconsider a rolling bag, it wouldn't be my first choice for dirt roads or off road hiking!

I would recommend getting a high quality rolling bag because you will encounter cobblestones and roughly paved streets in some of the locations and breaking your wheels halfway through the trip would be disastrous. But while everyone else was complaining about their backs, and always looking out for seats in the metro station to awkwardly perch their bags on, my sister and I were just ...rolling with the punches!


What I disliked about having a rolling backpack: You will encounter stairs in the metro stations when you are navigating to your hostels to drop off your luggage, so if you get a rolling backpack be prepared to carry it up and down stairs, for this reason make sure it has a good/easily gripped handle. By the end of the trip, as my bag got a little heavier with souvenirs, this got a little annoying but for the minimal time I had to carry it like this, I still think the rolling bag was worth it. Also, if you decide on a rolling backpack prepare to sacrifice two important things.

1.) You won't have a waist strap. Waist straps are what help distribute the weight off of your shoulders when you wear a backpack. Getting the convenience of being able to roll the bag, then, means you are going to sacrifice on comfort when you actually have to wear it as a backpack. For me this wasn't an issue, since I only had to bust out the shoulder straps once.

2.) Your bag might be heavier/you will have less packing space. A lot of rolling backpacks are inefficient because the rolling apparatus makes the bag heavier, and takes up precious packing space inside. BUT, I lucked out with this Samsonite bag, it only weighs 4.3 pounds empty (that is really light) and the rolling apparatus is in a separate compartment that doesn't seem to take up much packing space at all. Excellent, more room for shoes now (haha, yeah right)!

Other Backpack Shopping Tips:
  • Make sure to get one that zips all the way around,or at least halfway (not just a top-loading one which makes it very hard to find things in your bag and stay organized since you're always digging around trying to find your stuff).
  • Be careful of bags that have a lot of straps/buckles, etc. that stick out. These can get caught and break/rip if you check your bag on flights.
  • The bigger the bag, the more crap you will bring! Trust me when I say it was a relief to have such a small bag - yes, it was challenging at first, but I was grateful once I got over there. With such a small bag, I never had embarrassing train moments (people will give you dirty looks if you're that girl who takes up an entire seat with just your backpack, granted it is necessary since some of those bags are the size of a small person!). Also with a small backpack you don't have to check your luggage. I carried mine on, so there was no fear of losing it : ) Double win.
  • I never used luggage zipper locks. I did, though, use a cable lock a couple of times. In a couple of the more sketchy hostels before we were allowed to check-in, we had to leave our luggage off in rooms that didn't seem that secure, so we would cable lock a couple of our bags together. Not sure if this really prevented any thieves, but it gave us a little bit of peace of mind (what thief would steal four huge bags bundled together, actually what thief would even be able to!?)
Sidenote: Like I said before, choosing the best backpack for you is all about personal preference, overall I was very happy with a rolling backpack. But I won't lie, there were times when I was jealous of the extra space in my friends bags, or frustrated at the extra 2 seconds it took me to pull the handle out of my bag to roll it after climbing a set of stairs. This is why I recommend you going to stores and checking out bags in person to find out what's best for you.

12 comments:

  1. Question:

    I'll be spending five weeks in the south of France and Paris. I'm thinking of going the rolling backpack route, but I'm concerned about leaving my bag in a hostel while I go out exploring. How safe did you guys feel leaving your luggage in hostels? Was any of your stuff stolen? Was the storage secure in hostels?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, your blog is really great! I can relate to a lot of your dilemmas. It's tough to backpack and look good at the same time, so kudos to you girls. Thanks for all your advice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! We were lucky, no one had anything stolen the entire trip. Make sure to bring your own padlock, as most hostels provide you a locker and you can lock up your stuff during the day. I felt pretty safe doing this, plus when looking at hostels you can read reviews to see if they offer lockers/locks on your room, etc.

    During this backpacking trip and on a recent trip to Spain, when meeting people we heard multiple instances of pickpocketing though. One girl was pick pocketed when she arrived in Spain because she was distracted with managing her luggage and the crowd in the train station. Another girl we met was standing on a busy street corner, and someone unzipped her purse and stole her wallet before she even realized what was happening. In both trips, though, I didn't hear of any instances of people having stuff stolen from their hostel rooms. Pickpocketing seems to be more of problem in the bigger European cities (Paris, Barcelona, Madrid, Rome, etc.), so I'd be careful while in Paris. Just get a cross-body purse and make sure you wear it in front of you and that it is zipped at all times, and when walking thru crowded areas I just always put one hand on top of it as well, and you shouldn't have any problems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm headed to Italy (Florence, Pisa, Viareggio, Rome) next week. This whole time I thought it would be a brilliant idea to just take dresses and shove a pair of tights in my purse. No one seemed to mention this anywhere and I was getting concerned it was a bad idea...but I think it looks cuter and takes up so much less space than jeans. I'm so glad I found your blog!!! I feel much better about doing this now! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Might I ask how you booked/ secured your hostel rooms? 1. Did you book them in advance or on the day of? 2. Did you use a particular website? 3. Which hostels would you recommend (or completely avoid)? Thanks so much for your blog---very informative and practical! Miranda-Lynn Gartin of www.sequinstripe.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well it looks like you have all of your bases covered! Are you planning on spending any nights out actually camping outside? It would seem like a great way to save some money. Good luck on your trip! http://campingnstuff.com/backpacking-checklist/

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for telling how we pack bags for Europe. i will tell my friend if you know about europe tour packages so please reply.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The writer understand better the mind of people what they want to learn through their writing therefore this article is outstanding. Thanks!!! Back Pack Garments

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you need Personal Loan?
    Business Cash Loan?
    Unsecured Loan
    Fast and Simple Loan?
    Quick Application Process?
    Approvals within 24-72 Hours?
    No Hidden Fees Loan?
    Funding in less than 1 Week?
    Get unsecured working capital?
    Contact Us At : gaincreditloan1@gmail.com
    Whatsapps +1-(551) 356-3808 (call/WhatsApp)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the nice blog. It was very useful for me. I'm happy I found this blog. You can also check link for All City Packers and Movers in Ernakulam call 9539 120 727 for house shifting

    ReplyDelete